Saturday, November 21, 2009

mexicans in beacon hill?

I really need to get a new battery and charger for my camera. The camera on my new phone just ain't cutting the mustard. But I will soldier on until I actually make that purchase...

There is a gas station right at the bottom of Beacon Hill in Boston, kind of diagonal to Mass. General Hospital. It's name is Grampy's. See those brick buildings in back? That's Beacon Hill, for those of you reading this from afar.

This is kind of a weird spot for a gas station since the area is really mostly storefronts and restaurants, backed up by multi-million dollar two bedroom cubicles. But, I suppose people need gas for their cars to get to the Cape on the weekends.

And tacos. Everyone needs tacos! Even those without a car, am I right? Grampy's gas stop has a hidden a taco stand. For reals. I had heard of it before, but I actually was strolling by, hungry, and decided, what the hell. A taco sounds pretty good. (Who am I kidding here, a taco always sounds good to me.)

Villa Mexico Cafe is literally a tiny counter tucked in the corner of the mini mart. The flat top where everything is heated is literally the size of a three subject spiral notebook, and there's kitsch and glitter all around it. I opted for two beef tacos, to go. The beef was shredded, not the carne asada I am used to but I was happy it wasn't ground. It had flavor, was well salted and not dry at all. And there were plenty of tiny diced tomatoes on top. The salsa won me over, though - a mildly spicy roasted poblano, which you can see dumped on top of the tacos here. My only two beefs: there were no onions on it and the two tacos were $4.75, a little pricey for my AZ standards. Still, worthy tacos for a good lunch.

                                  

1 comment:

Simply Life said...

Oh I've never heard of that place but your photo makes it look great!