Thursday, November 5, 2009

downeaster

I am going to Maine this weekend, and I can't WAIT to get out of the city. I am going to replace the sound of cars honking and the smell of urine and tar with the sound of goats and the smell of the North Atlantic making out with the beach. Or maybe the smell of goats and the sound of the mighty Atlantic. Whichever smell and sound, it's going to be country and not city and that's the whole point.

My companion, Pequena Cocina, and I are going to tag team a chicken pot pie for our hostess. PC is responsible for the guts and I am responsible for the pretty, flaky, buttery crust that will bring all who taste it to their knees. I know, I said it: To their knees. What can I say, I expect great things from my crust.

You may be thinking...but, Malted, that doesn't sound very healthy at all! And you are exactly right for thinking that - it totally is not a healthy dinner choice. At all. And I think that's one of the main reasons, aside from the crazy awesome flavor, we are so drawn to making it.

PC and I bust our asses (literally) all week long by eating well, exercising regularly, drinking a LOT of water and getting plenty of sleep. Maybe not *plenty* of sleep, becuase who ever really gets plenty of sleep anyway. My 3 cats, maybe Mr. Bacon. But other then that, who?

So, becuase we diligently pass on bourbon cocktails and roasted bone marrow on a regular basis, we feel justified in cooking and eating chicken pot pie. I know, I know - thinking this way derails healthy living. It does. I'm not in denial. Don't get me wrong; there will be at least two long runs involved in the eating and drinking Vacationland has to offer us.

I mean, we have to work off the Mrs. Dunster's Donuts we plan on soaking up all the red wine with somehow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yumz!