Friday, October 2, 2009

race food

I am running a 5K in the morning and I haven't raced since...July? Anyway, my training for the half is almost through, and I'm interested in seeing where I land.

Food is, like, important and stuff when it comes to racing. When it comes to doing anything, actually; typing this and breathing and blinking wouldn't happen without food to fuel it all. A lot of people can be maniacal about what they eat and when (athletes and non-athletes alike). For some, it's a fear of gaining weight. For others, it's a control issue. Some do it for optimal energy performance and some because they are superstitious about it. For me, I am a mix if the latter two.

If you know me at all, and as you are reading this I am pretty sure you probably do, you know I am no stranger to foods that are probably not the best to eat all the time (some of which barely make the "food" label: American cheese, anyone?). But most of the time, especially when I am prepping for a run and especially for a race, I make sure to eat a good balance of lean protein and vegetables and toss in some complex carbohydrates.

That sounds pretty generic; I would be surprised if a picture of boiled chicken over brown rice with a side of green beans and a glass of water didn't pop into your head. If I was reading and not writing and living this, that is how I would have read it. It doesn't have to be boring, just balanced. But I digress...

Eating what I need so I don't bonk (a.k.a lose my steam) is part of it. Eating certain foods before race day has also become superstitious for me. Sounds silly, but it's true. Knowing how your body reacts and performs with certain foods is key. I have a friend who can eat a sausage and egg McMuffin 10 minutes before the gun, then run 13+ miles no problem. This is abnormal. He knows this, but it's his superstition that keeps him at it. For me, race morning breakfast is coffee, Cheerios with 1% milk, almonds or walnuts and banana or craisins. Consumed no less than 1.5 hours before the start. Why? It works. I don't want to throw it up. I don't bonk.

See you at the start.

No comments: