Sunday, October 4, 2009

moo cluck, johnny appleseed

My race yesterday was nixed (by me) due to rain. When it's pouring, running doesn't tweak that little thing inside that says "OH!! What a great day for (running)!"

After a leisurely breakfast that included buttermilk coffee cake, not made by me, we met up at a friend's and went apple picking. My first time ever. Damn the rain! I can wear boots and muck around a farm! It was fantastic. A caravan of 3 cars headed north to Ipswich where we picked about 6 varieties of apples, saw a 1,400 pound pig, ate cider doughnuts and learned that koala farts smell like cough drops.

We then ventured over to Topsfield Fair, the longest running agricultural fair in the U.S. Since it rained all day, the midway wasn't open but we did get to see some animals. Sara the cow gave birth to Sierra the calf on 9.22.09 and they were both present. The giant pumpkin contest winner weighed in at 1,471 pounds (more than Big Boy the pig!), and I held a baby chick at the hatchery. A baby chick. Buttery yellow and fuzzy, s/he looked at me, I looked at her/him and there was a peep-peep-blink exchange that I will remember forever. I really wanted to take it home. Then I thought of the felines, and how they probably fancy baby chicks, and I gave her/him back to the 4-H chicken girl.

I haven't spent a day being so wholesome, yet so (literally) dirty in a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Note to self: Koala Farts smell like Cough Drops.