Tuesday, November 24, 2009

pie guts

Ahhhh work. I love working on (1) team projects that leave a sense of (2) accomplishment when finished. Last Sunday, I went to Petsi Pies to lend a hand in their pie production for Thanksgiving and spent 6 hours making pie tarts. There's a cool machine, a heated die caster, where all you have to do is:
1. Measure out 9oz. of dough.
2. Put it on a pie tin.
3. Put the tin under the die.
4. Push a lever down. Hold for 10 seconds.
5. Pie crust.

Sounds tedious, but it really wasn't. I know that without pie crust, there is no pie and therefore it was uber important to do. Sense of teamwork.

Yesterday I pulled a 13 hour shift where I:
1. Spent 8 hours making over a thousand pounds of apple pie filling.
2. One hour on pie crusts.
3. Three hours rotating pies in and out of the oven (mmmm pumpkin and apple!)
4. One hour scrubbing sheet pans free of caramelized apple filling that spilled over. Nasty bastard, burnt sugar is.

Two burns, a bizarre steel scrubber rash and a little bit of back pain later and I am totally happy and feeling fulfilled. Sense of accomplishment.

Tonight is the final push, the last of them will be picked up by 3pm tomorrow. It's been really exciting and fun helping two thousand pies grow from ingredients to treats. Although, I get the feeling that when T-Day finally arrives, I am going to pass on the desserts. Being surrounded by it for 3 days can kill anyone's sweet tooth. (Except for Mr. Bacon's. His is unbreakable.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We made this awesome pie while camping. We put blueberries and apples into aluminum foil. Then we put the foil on the fire. Then we opened it up and fought over the interior of the aluminum foil crust. It was the most amazing baking job I've ever been involved with.